Read Genesis 11
There are a couple of major things happen in this chapter.
We have the introduction of various languages with the subsequent scattering of people, and then we see the lineage of Abram (Abraham) from Shem (son of Noah).
Take a look at vv 1-9 again.
- What were the people doing, and why?
- How did the Lord respond? Why?
- What is the impact of this in the modern world?
Now, look at vv 10-32.
- Calculate how many years were between the flood and the birth of Abram. Is that longer or shorter than you expected?
- Pay attention to the family relationships surrounding Abram. They will keep appearing later in the story. What can we learn about each of them?
- Where did Terah live? Where did they move to?
This chapter shows us a couple of things. Where needed, God will make direct intervention in the affairs of man. Also, we wee that God guides our steps to lead of to where He wants us to be.
Pray that the Lord would guide your steps to follow Him.
In that way, the Lord scattered them all over the world, and they stopped building the city. -v8