Read Genesis 1
The Beginning. That’s what Genesis is all about. Genesis describes the beginning of the world… the beginning of humanity… the beginning of sin… and the beginning of God’s plan of redemption.
This chapter describes the creation of the world in 6 days.
- What was created on each of the days?
- Think about the order of creation. Can you see anything significant with this order?
- What are some of the things you can learn about God in this chapter?
Verse 26 and following describes the creation of mankind. There is a special relationship described between God and mankind (v27). Think about that relationship a bit. You were made in the image of God!
As you talk with God today, ask him to give you the strength and desire to live worthy of His image – today and every day.
Read Proverbs 1
Today’s reading is the introduction to the book of Proverbs. This book is a collection of sayings, mostly from King Solomon. This book bubbles over with wisdom that we can learn from.
The first section of this chapter is vv 1-7.
- What is the purpose of these proverbs?
- What will a person gain from listening to these proverbs?
- Pay attention to the contrast in v7. Do you fear God, or are you a fool?
Verses 8-19 make up the second section.
- What is the family relationship that is used to illustrate wisdom?
- Try to condense the message of these verses so they will fit in one Tweet (as in Twitter, 140 chars).
The last section is in vv 20-33.
- What is wisdom doing in the streets?
- How would you describe the emotion found in wisdom’s crying?
Solomon asked God for wisdom. James 1 says that we can also ask for wisdom and God will give. Pray to God that he will grant you wisdom necessary for every role of your life.
Read Psalm 61
This is a psalm written by David. no one knows the setting, but we can see that David is feeling overwhelmed. He cries out to God for refuge, and finds it!
Questions for you:
- What do you do when you are overwhelmed?
- Look up “refuge” in a dictionary. What are some of the ideas of refuge?
- How should you cry out to God for refuge?
- How can you live in His refuge?
Take the time today to ask God to provide refuge for you. Thank God for the refuge he offers.
Don't make reading the Bible a chore. Get yourself a cup of coffee or tea, and follow along as we read the Bible together!
Do you know God?
Can you really know for sure you are going to heaven? Is it really possible to have a relationship with God and to know your sins are forgiven? God does not want you to live in uncertainty. He wants you to know for sure that you are going to heaven.