Read Genesis 18
Genesis is full of mysterious appearances of God and His work. This chapter includes some new things. Just to help jump-start our understanding, the three men are often considered to be the Lord and two angels.
There are two major sections – vv 1-15, and vv 16-33. While looking like distinct sections, they are related.
Take a look at the first section, vv 1-15.
- Where does this narrative take place?
- Did Abraham know who these three men were when he saw them?
- Why did Abraham respond to their appearance the way that he did?
- What did the men tell about Sarah, and how did Sarah respond?
Now move on to vv 16-33.
- How did the Lord come to tell Abraham about his plans to destroy Sodom?
- How did Abraham respond to the news? Why?
Looking back at this chapter, we can see a couple of important things. God was going to make sure that Abraham and Sarah knew that their son was from the Lord. They were both too old for normal child-bearing. Additionally, God is showing that he is holy, and that his patience with sin will only last for a time. Judgement will come to those who rebel against Him.
“I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised.” -v19