Read Genesis 17
The story around Abram is building in this chapter. Pay close attention to these things…
- God changes Abram’s name to Abraham, and changes Sarai’s name to Sarah.
- God gives assurance that He will keep his promises of an heir via Sarah.
- God assures Abraham that He will also make Ishmael a father of 12 princes and a great nation.
- God tells Abraham to circumcise all male children as a sign of the covenant.
- Abraham obeys, and he and Ishmael, along with other males in the household, are circumcised.
Some aspects of this account are unusual for us. Remember that there are cultural aspects to this account that occurred 3000-4000 years ago.
Here’s the key point to take away. Even when it seems otherwise, God is working to fulfill His promises and make His plan come to pass. Thank Him for the plan that He has for your life. Ask Him to give you patience while you wait for His plan to come to pass.
Then Abraham bowed down to the ground, but he laughed to himself in disbelief. -v17